Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

Ignoramus12523 wrote:

On 2010-09-15, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus12523 wrote:

On 2010-09-15, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The opening title of the video describes it as a "... gided tower".
Doesn't anybody proofread these things.

The free climbing was absolutely insane and stupid. Show that in 3D
Imax & the audience would be puking all over. Those that weren't having
panic attacks and fleeing.

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump?

I mean from an airplane.

Search for static line skydiving. In static line method, one skydives
alone and a line from the backpack to the plane pulls the parachute
cord automatically.

Ah. I believe that method is considered a bit dangerous since your chute
deploys fairly close to the plane.

I'd never do that since there is no backup and no time to deploy a
backup anyway. I did go skydiving from 14,000' (tandem) and it was
spectacular and highly recommended. With sky diving, you deploy the
parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy the reserve
parachute if there is a problem with the main.

sounds fun.

Yep, definitely spectacular. 10,000' of free fall in a minute or so at
~120 MPH, followed by 5 or 6 minutes gently gliding under the chute.