Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jeff_wisnia[_4_] jeff_wisnia[_4_] is offline

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

john wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

I hadn't theard that term "guided tower" before and was not successful
in finding a definition through search engines or on Wiki.

Maybe it just means a tower with guy wires, but I'd expect that to be
called a "guyed tower". So, maybe it means free standing without guy
wires?

It's simply copy written by someone without a clue. It's simply a guyed
tower. I also seriously doubt that tower work is the most dangerous job
in America by a long shot. There is a lot of safety gear used and when
the weather is bad they simply don't work. Nothing like those crab
fisherman or numerous other occupations working in far more dangerous
conditions.

Commercial divers and weldors are at or near the top of the list.

John

You're right about that, at least for commercial divers.

The eighth paragraph on this page says the fatality rate for divers is
180 deaths per year for each 100,000 employed divers.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...fshore-dsv.htm

The chart part way down this OSHA page says the rate for tower workers
is 183.6 per year for each 100,000 workers.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...CHES&p_id=1267

I've run out of time, so I didn't look for data on welders, but I'd bet
commercial underwater welders might take the prize for highest fatality
rate. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia