Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
[email protected] wrightsaerials@aol.com is offline

Default Cable clips on stone wall

On Sep 15, 10:59*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

On Sep 14, 11:47 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* wrote:

You just wouldn't believe it! I don't keep the recently discussed
pin plugs in the van, but have decided to do so, despite thinking
that they will only get used once a blue moon. Then today, in a
place 80 miles from home that takes an hour to get into and an hour
to get out of, I found that I had to clip a cable 50ft along a
concrete internal wall. There was no chance of clips going in -- the
wall was so hard it was actually slow to drill. Push in cable tie
holders and ties would have looked dreadful. In the end I cut the
heads of some push-ins and used the stems as pin plugs. It worked
fine.

Sounds like a job for SDS man.

Bosch 24VRE, new SDS bit, new battery. Operative a bit worn out
though.

You need a decent mains SDS for hard materials. Battery ones ain't got the
oomph. But I do realise the problems there in your job.

I don't have problems drilling any material, within reason. I would
use a 110V SDS drill for repeated work using large diameter SDS bits
or for a masonry-cutting core drill, but for anything upto 18mm
diameter the 24V DC drill is fine. When I said drilling the holes in
concrete was 'slow' I didn't mean it took ages, just that it was a bit
slower than drilling brick, perhaps 8 to 12 secs for an 8mm x 30mm
hole. I drilled 50 of the ******* things anyway!

Modern battery SDS drills are very good.

Bill