Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Tried air mister yesterday, was kind of shocked

On 2010-09-14, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5013 wrote:

I think that I understand the appeal of it in manufacturing, with
fully closed off VMCs and possibly air cleaners attached to them, but
it seems foolish to use on an open machine.

Trust me, the stuff inside gets out. If only I could talk them into
a Torit external system instead of crapy Filtermists.

So, it sounds like you also do not like this mist stuff?

I used to use a Spray Mist unit. They work great, but everything in the
shop gets coated, even with the prescribed coolant, and the spindle in the
mill gets so sticky it loses all of its feel. In order to return the quill
to functionality, I'd have to extend it full length, spray with a chemical
cleaner (such as 409, only industrial), run the quill in and out numerous
times, then wipe it down and re-oil. They are truly a PITA to use, in
spite of how nicely they work for cooling and lubricating.

Harold