Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5013 Ignoramus5013 is offline

Default Tried air mister yesterday, was kind of shocked

On 2010-09-15, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:46:26 -0500, Ignoramus5013

On 2010-09-15, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:14:11 -0500, Ignoramus5013
wrote:

I finally hooked up the Accu-Lube LS-3V to shop air, properly through
a regulator and filter, etc.

It works, as in, it spews a stream of air with a super fine oil mist
added to the air.

Frankly, I do not imagine how I could possibly use it -- my whole
garage will be covered with oil that settles down and I cannot
possibly imagine that this stuff would do any good to my lungs.

I think that I understand the appeal of it in manufacturing, with
fully closed off VMCs and possibly air cleaners attached to them, but
it seems foolish to use on an open machine.

Comments?

http://www.fogbuster.com/

Have you used it? Does it work as advertised?

My other issue with this is that it seems to be harder to lubricate a
endmill or drill that is deep in the work. With flood, well, I just
"flood" the area and the liquid gets to where I want it to go (as well
as everywhere else, but it drains back to the base eventually).

This fogbuster or misters, well, they seem to act on a direct line
from the mister. So it is hard to lubricate something where the
endmill is behind something or is just deep down in the work. Is that
correct or am I wrong?

http://www.machinistblog.com/zero-fog-mister/

I don't use flood on my knee mill. I tried it and always had it
leaking out on the floor someplace. What a mess. (i do use flood on
the CHNC and Mazak where you've got a complete machine enclosure.)

Zero leaking on the floor.

1) I have a guard
2) I have a plastic drani tub above the knee.

So i built my own fogbuster and love it. for the issue you're
referring to, turn the unit up to keep the pocket full. same idea when
drilling a deep hole. IMHO, this mister gives 90% of flood benefit
with 10% of the mess.

Looks interesting.