Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tried air mister yesterday, was kind of shocked

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:09:23 -0500, Ignoramus5013

On 2010-09-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:14:11 -0500, Ignoramus5013
wrote:

I finally hooked up the Accu-Lube LS-3V to shop air, properly through
a regulator and filter, etc.

It works, as in, it spews a stream of air with a super fine oil mist
added to the air.

Frankly, I do not imagine how I could possibly use it -- my whole
garage will be covered with oil that settles down and I cannot
possibly imagine that this stuff would do any good to my lungs.

I think that I understand the appeal of it in manufacturing, with
fully closed off VMCs and possibly air cleaners attached to them, but
it seems foolish to use on an open machine.

Comments?

You are supposed to use a water based coolant liquid such as Cool Mist
rather than oil.

Do you know which Kool Mist? 78?

Just about ANY water based Kool Mist/generic equiv. will work. Using
oil....brrrrrr! thats nasty for misting...cringe.....man..just thinking
about it...I can taste the oil.....GACK!!!!

Btw...Ive used straight water with some decent sucess. Doesnt have the
lubrication properties that KoolMist/Equiv does..which you really should
have..but..shrug ..it does work though not Great.

Set the mister to JUST show a bit of moisture on a bit of cardboard at
work piece distance and leave it be.

If you have filled your mister with oil..you are going to have to clean
it out. Dawn dishwashing detergent at the very least.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)