Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Garden Vinegar vs Roundup

wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 23:23:49 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:08:41 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:09:55 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
news:d0uq865v6jn7gap2v67r8npgscr4pr548g@4ax. com...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:48:30 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:nfsq8619v5998lvrrhgvkha0ig0n9t72i6@4a x.com...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:27:29 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:3qqq86p6d0qirg6mpp5ktt8i7pt20hua32@ 4ax.com...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:55:01 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:junq86lj5l1atm992hah5buipc949pq5a ...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:41:36 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news:udhq865ri38c0e0fer8qu5d7324attf ...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:16:07 -0500, "JimT"

wrote:

wrote in message
news:6pfq86hv0l1kr6ujf4bcekcr5nhkn ...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:38:14 -0500, "JimT"

wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
news:VOydnX5HpZAeVhHRnZ2dnUVZ_r6 ...
"Higgs Boson" wrote
"JimT" wrote:

mornings and would often hear to substitute garden
vinegar
with
bit
of
orange citrus oil mixed in as a substitute for
Roundup.
bought
some
last

Also, what is "garden vinegar"? Different from
ordinary
household
vinegar? If so, where get?

It's no different. It's a sales gimmick to charge more
where
in
fact,
they can get away with a cheaper process (doesnt have to
be
food
grade
so
they charge *more*). The citrus oil may be cheaper at a
garden
store
though as it also doesn't have to be edible grade and
will
be
sold
in
quantity. I just use straight vinegar.

Keep in mind it kills grass as well as weeds.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. A gal of 20% garden
vinegar
was
about
$13. In theory that should be the equivalent of 4 gal of
5%
vinegar.
You
can
buy a pint of Medina Orange Oil for $16 but you have to
remember
it's
concentrated too.

...or for $30 you can buy enough concentrate to make 5
gallons
of
RoundUp.
That's enough to last me all summer.

So far I haven't used much of vinegar or oil, but that's not
the
point.
That
amount will last at least 3 years for me. I only use it
sparingly.
had
some of that concentrate RU left over from when we lived in
NM.
took
me
years to use that too. I think my wife got a hold of it and
used
it
like
normal RU on my side yard. One of my neighbors trees isn't
looking
too
healthy. On the plus side, there are no weeds in my side
yard.

If I used it sparingly 5 gallons of RU would last a
lifetime.
Screw
that.
It'll take me a while to get ground cover done for the
weeded
areas.
Until
then I douse it every few weeks in RU.

May as well. The ag companies use that stuff like crazy. They
grow
genetically engineered crops to withstand the effects of RU.
Unfortunaly,
these oaks on my property are probably 100s of years old and I
feel
responsible for them during my short time here. I'm not
willing
chance
some chemical companies make-a-fast-buck product on something
so
essential
to our well being (not to mention my property value).

Don't get any RU on their leaves and they'll be fine. It's a
lot
better
than
messing with the pH of the dirt they're in.

My guess, at this point, would be, you're missing the point.
Google
"roundup
toxicity" and do some reading and come to your own conclusions.
didn't
know that Monsanto was being sued for it's claims that RU is as
safe
table
salt. I absolutely refuse to purchase any Scotts product due to
their
irresponsible marketing. If you're the type that reads the
marketing
bs
and
believes it, then I doubt we have much to talk about.

It *is* safe, very shortly after it's applied. Drink it, no,
but
wouldn't
hesitate to eat vegetables that were grown in soil that had
weeds
previously
treated (according to directions) with it.

BTW: I'd never use vinegar or RU by trees but I think that's the
3rd
time
I've said that in this thread. g

Then why would you propose it as an alternative to RU? I assume
you
wouldn't
use RU there either.

I don't use any "weed control" product other than the following:

Of course the point missed you my thirty miles.

Vinegar and citrus oil in sidewalk cracks. (trial run. So far so
good),
and

Pulling.

no
problem.

http://www.panna.org/files/monsanto.pdf

Anything that starts out with "Monsanto is known for producing the
dioxin-containing defoliant Agent Orange" isn't worth reading
further.

Yeah...not reading is a good way to go through life. ;-)

Anthing that starts out a rant with such vitriol is hardly an
unbiased
source
of information. *Obviously* slanted crap isn't worth my time, no.
can
see
where you would use it as "information", though.

Another idiot.

That's too bad. You actually were making some good points but your
ability
to deal with contrasting views needs work.

That was *not* a contrasting view. It was *obviously* crap, written
by
some
nutcase.

You didn't read it so you can't tell me one thing in that article that
is
false, can you? If you were self assured in your stance you would
defend
it,
and counter the article with your knowledge. Right?

Nope. When an article starts off with a daft conclusion, there is no
reason
to read further.

"Overview
Monsanto is known for producing the dioxin-containing defoliant
Agent Orange, which was used extensively in the Vietnam
War; for forcing the evacuation of the community of Times
Beach, Missouri, by contaminating it with dioxin; and for
refusing to accept full responsibility for the PCB contamination
of an Alabama town."

Which part is false?

It doesn't matter if any is false, or not. It matters that it is
charged
rhetoric intended to get across a point of view, nothing else. It is
not
piece designed to inform or persuade, rather a piece for knuckleheads
who
already believe that everyone is out to get them. It's not surprising
that
you would use it as "evidence" of your position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri

http://www.commonweal.org/programs/b...ton_AL_PCB.pdf

I don't think you read past Agent Orange.

I now know you don't think.

Which part is false?

You really are illiterate, aren't you. Pity.

:-) You're the one who didn't read it.

Which part is false?

Jim