Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machine part site

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:20:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 12, 3:41*am, CaveLamb wrote:

I can draw the thing.
Detailed and dimensioned.
I can do engineering drawings pretty well.

(I'd just need to get the dimensions and details from one of the
guys who has one. *There are several in our fleet)

But cutting, welding, and passivating stainless is a bit beyond
my garage shop skills.

Start the bidding at $200?

--

Richard Lamb

After you get the drawing made, post it over in
sci.engr.joining.welding. Ernie does things like that including the
passivating.

Dan

Good suggestion, Dan. Passivation of SS is (or at least used to be)
done with nitric acid, not easy for amateurs to get these days but
those in the biz should have no trouble. I have a gallon of fuming
nitric from back in the day but I'm hoarding it. Maybe it's done
with citric acid now. I've no idea where I'd get a jug of citric acid.

All passivation really does is dispose of surface Fe molecules that
might oxidize and stain. A non-passivated SS object won't rust away
and lose structural integrity like mild steel, it just won't stay as
polished pretty for the white ducks and blue blazer set.

Wonder why aluminum wouldn't suffice here. It's easier to weld because
it doesn't require backing gas. Might need to be thicker stock, so
what?

I am not picking on you, Richard, honest I'm not. I'm just cautious,
having been a consulting engineer as a side job for several decades.
People think they specify what they want and then are disappointed
when what they specified doesn't work as they expected. I purely hate
disappointing customers and I also hate doing any job twice. I don't
need a job. I'm retired.

I make stuff like this for my friends and neighbors all the time, it's
part of what I do in my retirement. I do it freely, knowing they're
there to help me out if and when I need a hand. They would be anyway
so I do what I can whenever I can.