Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus478 Ignoramus478 is offline

Default Iggy, Unbuntu and network card?

On 2010-09-13, Jon Elson wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
Quick question, do you have your EMC computer networked, and if so,
via wire or wireless? What card are you using? I looked up the Linksys
card in mine and it's not well supported. Looking for compatible
cards, I see a whole host of issues, including lack of WEP support in
some.
I therefore assume there's other cards that will also have issues with
security. I could run a cable, I think I have one long enough. But
will have to research and see if the 3Com cards I have are compatible...

The Dell should have an on-mobo wired ethernet port. I use only
wired ethernet for a variety of reasons: mostly security and
reliability in a high-noise environment (we have nearby cell towers,
and of course, CNC machines). I think all 3com cards and chips will
be supported.

In addition, my CNC control computer is placed INSIDE a steel cabinet
(the same cabinet that came with the mill), and there is no way a wifi
signal could get out of there. :-)