Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Vinegar vs Roundup

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:55:01 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:41:36 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 16:16:07 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
om...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:38:14 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
news:VOydnX5HpZAeVhHRnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d@gigan ews.com...
"Higgs Boson" wrote
"JimT" wrote:

mornings and would often hear to substitute garden vinegar with a
bit
of
orange citrus oil mixed in as a substitute for Roundup. I bought
some
last

Also, what is "garden vinegar"? Different from ordinary household
vinegar? If so, where get?

It's no different. It's a sales gimmick to charge more where in
fact,
they can get away with a cheaper process (doesnt have to be food
grade
so
they charge *more*). The citrus oil may be cheaper at a garden
store
though as it also doesn't have to be edible grade and will be sold
in
quantity. I just use straight vinegar.

Keep in mind it kills grass as well as weeds.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. A gal of 20% garden vinegar was
about
$13. In theory that should be the equivalent of 4 gal of 5% vinegar.
You
can
buy a pint of Medina Orange Oil for $16 but you have to remember it's
concentrated too.

...or for $30 you can buy enough concentrate to make 5 gallons of
RoundUp.
That's enough to last me all summer.

So far I haven't used much of vinegar or oil, but that's not the point.
That
amount will last at least 3 years for me. I only use it sparingly. I had
some of that concentrate RU left over from when we lived in NM. I took
me
years to use that too. I think my wife got a hold of it and used it like
normal RU on my side yard. One of my neighbors trees isn't looking too
healthy. On the plus side, there are no weeds in my side yard. g

If I used it sparingly 5 gallons of RU would last a lifetime. Screw
that.
It'll take me a while to get ground cover done for the weeded areas.
Until
then I douse it every few weeks in RU.

May as well. The ag companies use that stuff like crazy. They grow
genetically engineered crops to withstand the effects of RU. Unfortunaly,
these oaks on my property are probably 100s of years old and I feel
responsible for them during my short time here. I'm not willing to chance
some chemical companies make-a-fast-buck product on something so essential
to our well being (not to mention my property value).

Don't get any RU on their leaves and they'll be fine. It's a lot better
than
messing with the pH of the dirt they're in.

My guess, at this point, would be, you're missing the point. Google "roundup
toxicity" and do some reading and come to your own conclusions. I didn't
know that Monsanto was being sued for it's claims that RU is as safe a table
salt. I absolutely refuse to purchase any Scotts product due to their
irresponsible marketing. If you're the type that reads the marketing bs and
believes it, then I doubt we have much to talk about.

It *is* safe, very shortly after it's applied. Drink it, no, but I wouldn't
hesitate to eat vegetables that were grown in soil that had weeds previously
treated (according to directions) with it.

BTW: I'd never use vinegar or RU by trees but I think that's the 3rd time
I've said that in this thread. g

Then why would you propose it as an alternative to RU? I assume you wouldn't
use RU there either.