Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Garden Vinegar vs Roundup

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Higgs Boson" wrote
"JimT" wrote:

mornings and would often hear to substitute garden vinegar with a bit of
orange citrus oil mixed in as a substitute for Roundup. I bought some
last

Also, what is "garden vinegar"? Different from ordinary household
vinegar? If so, where get?

It's no different. It's a sales gimmick to charge more where in fact,
they can get away with a cheaper process (doesnt have to be food grade so
they charge *more*). The citrus oil may be cheaper at a garden store
though as it also doesn't have to be edible grade and will be sold in
quantity. I just use straight vinegar.

Keep in mind it kills grass as well as weeds.

I'm not sure that is entirely true. A gal of 20% garden vinegar was about
$13. In theory that should be the equivalent of 4 gal of 5% vinegar. You can
buy a pint of Medina Orange Oil for $16 but you have to remember it's
concentrated too.
FWIW: I'm not one of those guys that hates paying retail at specialty
stores. If it's something that's at HD for half the price that's fine but
usually specialty stores charge more for convenience, and they have bills to
pay too.

People here really give pool supply stores crap for charging more for
chemicals. That's sort of a pet-peeve for me. Where else can you walk in,
get your water tested, get advice, get your Polaris worked on, get your pump
seal replaced, and get almost anything you need all in one place? I don't
mind paying a little more for the convenience. g

Funny, but I often get talked out of buying things at specialty stores.

Jim