Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Garden Vinegar vs Roundup

wrote in message
On Sep 12, 12:05 am, "JimT" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 5:20 pm, "JimT" wrote:

I used to use Roundup when I lived in NM and never really worried about
the
trees because there are so few out there. Then I moved Central TX where
live
oaks are pretty much everywhere. I listen to KBLJ AM talk radio on
Saturday
mornings and would often hear to substitute garden vinegar with a bit of
orange citrus oil mixed in as a substitute for Roundup. I bought some
last
year but I didn't get the chance to use any until this year. I have to
say,
vinegar and citrus oil works as well, if not better, than Roundup, for
clearing up that grass and the weeds that grow in the cracks in the
sidewalk
and driveway. The grass and weeds died almost immediately and so far
haven't
come back. I prefer to use a defoliant there because pulling those
particular weeds can be difficult and tend to grow back right away if I
pull
them.

BTW, I never use any weed control products on my yard because of the
trees
on my property. I've been pulling them the old fashion way with very
good
results. The grass usually just takes the place of the weeds. The weeds
were
pretty bad when I moved into my new property 5 years ago but I bought a
weed
puller that did the job.

FWIW, It's one of these:http://www.kk.org/cooltools/weedhound.jpg

Jim

Jim, post this on rec.gardens as well. They are very helpful.

Also, what is "garden vinegar"? Different from ordinary household
vinegar?
If so, where get?

TIA

===

This is what I
used.:http://www.garden-ville.com/sites/36...ages/20new.gif

http://buckmoorefeed.com/images/OrangeOil.jpg

I've read where people have used kitchen vinegar but I doubt it works as
well. As for buying, try any dedicated garden store.
I put about 2 tbls of oil to 1 pint of vinegar in a spray bottle. I soaked
them well but next time I'm going to use a lot less and see how it works.
Jim- Hide quoted text -

What makes you think spraying vinegar on weeds is any better for trees
than using Roundup? Roundup works by being absorbed and taken in
through leaves. I've never had any issues with it affecting any
trees. You just don't spray the trees with it.

====

Personally, I keep both away from the trees.
I wasn't aware of the problems with RU until I started listening to KBLJ (A
very conservative AM station). There is quite a bit of debate regarding RUs
use and other foliage isn't the only concern. So yes, I'm relying on the
advice of others as I'm not a chemist.

Jim