Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default And now, the rest of the story

Hawke fired this volley in news:i6ev0v$q1m
:

If that is true then why do the Japanese still keep giving out the
"Deming Award" to people?

Same reason we name things after politicians. They were popular (once),
the _thing_ named is a good thing (like any award given for excellence),
and it becomes a comfortable habit to continue giving it, and calling it
by its name.

The Japanese developed the award in the 1950s (IIRC) while they were
still completely enamoured of the entire method. When they learned that
not every part of the method works so well in their society, they didn't
abandon giving the award. That would be like saying "We misspelled a
word in the orginal document, so we're not going to reward excellence
anymore."

I don't disagree with everything W.E. Deming taught. He was required
reading in college. For the most part, I even agree with his 14
imperatives. What most businesses who've attempted to adopt it realize,
though, is that a LOT of his sidebar advice is just plain weird, and
doesn't fit well with phyisical reality or how people act or how they
will act, even if coerced.

For instance, he teaches that one should not ever rely on mass
inspections to ensure QC. OK... how' bout a product line that has to be
absolutely 100% out the door?

His response was that the correct statistical methods and corporate
attitudes will guarantee _any_ desired level of QA!
Bull**** -- Propaganda to promote selling his method; nothing more.

If someone convinced me that I could have ZERO product failures across
all of my lines of goods simply by adopting a method I can have taught
for only $1000 per staff member -- well, I'd JUMP at it.

But it's a figment. It was trumped up to promote the system. That's one
reason very few firms worldwide adopt the system in toto. Of course we
all use some of the methods. We'd be stupid not to.

LLoyd