Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On 9/9/2010 1:03 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

For a step like I recall you to have, I would be using a 2'-3' long board.
The rolls of abrasive I suggested come in 2" width, so the board does not
need to be more than 2" wide. Stiffen it with a backbone, which will also
give you something to hold on to. Don't worry - the dust will certainly
fall away. We use long boards in doing auto body work - though they are
only 14-16" long. They make getting a surface dead flat a lot easier.
Plus - the longer the board is the easier it will be to hold it up there
and get a look at what things will look like when you paint the wall. If
you can see any kind of gap under a 2' board, then you can be assured you'll
see it in paint as well. Though... you are pretty high up with your joint,
so you get a little relief just from the fact that it is so far above eye
level.

The metrics are helpful! I've been moving a ruler around a little to
gauge how I'm doing--I might be afraid to try a yardstick! : )

Thanks,
Bill