Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

At this point, it looks good to me. In places where the step was
greater, I made a wider "band" than I described. If if doesn't look
good after I prime it, I may do as you suggest--though I wonder
whether it would be easier to just replace the top 12" of drywall to
the ceiling... Thank you for your idea; I will save it for
reference. It seems like if you adhere sanding screen to a board
that there would be little room for the dust to fall away--and that
you would end up scratching the surface. Is there more to the picture
than you described? Are you talking about a board sized to fit 2
screens end-to-end? Not necessary to put much effort into a reply
for my sake, as I'm not there yet, but the ideas are interesting!

For a step like I recall you to have, I would be using a 2'-3' long board.
The rolls of abrasive I suggested come in 2" width, so the board does not
need to be more than 2" wide. Stiffen it with a backbone, which will also
give you something to hold on to. Don't worry - the dust will certainly
fall away. We use long boards in doing auto body work - though they are
only 14-16" long. They make getting a surface dead flat a lot easier.
Plus - the longer the board is the easier it will be to hold it up there
and get a look at what things will look like when you paint the wall. If
you can see any kind of gap under a 2' board, then you can be assured you'll
see it in paint as well. Though... you are pretty high up with your joint,
so you get a little relief just from the fact that it is so far above eye
level.

--

-Mike-