Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On 9/9/2010 6:49 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

My work, at the ceiling, Easysand on top of Durabond, taped, is
basically sanded vertically with 150 grit (leaving minor "striation").
So far, I've used 6" and 8" knives there creating a taper that extends
10 to 11 inches from the ceiling. I have a 12" knife for finishing. I
expect I can omit adding a layer of "All-Purpose" there and go
straight to the finishing compound (or not?).

You will want to apply/finish your taper in the horizontal direction as well
as the vertical in order to eliminate the striations Bill. Circular might
be a better reference word. If I recall, you have a significant step that
you flared out, and you will probably find that you want that flare
extending a great deal farther than what you currently have, or it will be
visible.

At this point, it looks good to me. In places where the step was
greater, I made a wider "band" than I described. If if doesn't look
good after I prime it, I may do as you suggest--though I wonder whether
it would be easier to just replace the top 12" of drywall to the
ceiling... Thank you for your idea; I will save it for reference. It
seems like if you adhere sanding screen to a board that there would be
little room for the dust to fall away--and that you would end up
scratching the surface. Is there more to the picture than you described?
Are you talking about a board sized to fit 2 screens end-to-end? Not
necessary to put much effort into a reply for my sake, as I'm not there
yet, but the ideas are interesting!

Bill

You might want to consider using something like a wallpaper tool
to feather out coats of mud to get a larger and flatter flare. Longer is
better in this type of application, and remember that you build up in small
steps rather than trying to get it all in one load. You might also want to
consider a long board for sanding it down. You can get rolls of abrasive
from auto body supply shops, that have an adhesive back, which you can stick
to a board. Will work great in flattening out surfaces. You will probably
find that your flares will run out a couple of feet by the time you are
done, in order to make them disappear.

Do you have any suggestions about the application of further compounds
and sanding (in particular, is there a worthwhile reason to switch to
strictly horizontal application and sanding)?