Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default IGGY - Pocket Drilling

Bob La Londe wrote:
After the long thread on drilling and peck drilling I thought I'ld
post this video for you as an alternative way to drill holes that
seems to be faster than peck drilling for many of my applications.
Yes, I'm doing this dry. The darn day job keeps interfering with my
hobbies and I still have not finished my enclosure. It ramps in at
about 5IPM and finishes the pass at 20IPM. The cutter is turning
about 15000 RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM4LXXNzLYw

I do this all the time. I make many equipment panels that have a wide
range of cutouts
(slots, rectangles and round holes) of varying sizes. So, I just put in
a 1/8" solid carbide
4-flute end mill and cut everything but 4-40 and 6-32 holes with one
tool. I have some
routines that generate the G-code for generic rectangles and round holes
posted on
my web pages at http://pico-systems.com/gcode.html

You just fill in the answers and it generates pretty efficient G-code
for the operation.
I then stitch the separate G-code files together to do the whole panel.

Perhaps your router can only handle these feedrates, I generally run
about 10 IPM
with only 2800 RPM. For the panels, I use a routine that "trepans" the
hole, cutting just
inside the final dimension, the slug drops out and then it makes the
finish pass. I generally
plunge about .050" each step down with the 1/8" end mill, so I do a 1/8"
panel all the
way through in 3 passes.

Jon