Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Morgans wrote:
wrote

I.e., there are places where the tape is not adhered. You can push in just
a little, 1/16" or less, with your finger. At first I (naively) thought I
might fix that with additional layers of joint compound. Didn't work.
Those "bad" places keep looking raised (and they seem likely to be a
headache down the road...).

All the tools I need are sitting right there..redoing it now is not a
major inconvenience (as long as the removal goes well enough). I am much
faster now than I was when I started.

If it is just a few places, not very long, you can use a utility blade to
cut a football shaped piece out of the paper and fill it in with joint
compound. It will not show a crack even at a joint, for short sections.

If you can just pull the paper up, there will be an indentation where the
paper was. Trim a half inch off of the paper, and mud and re-apply the
paper in the groove without sanding down the indentation. Use a narrow
blade to press the paper into the mud. That could save some good time and
effort from sanding.

That seems like a darn good idea. I'll use it if I can pull the paper up
nicely. Thanks!

BTW, as you may have noticed from my earlier post, you helped me solve
the problem I was having near the ceiling. Amazing what 43 pounds of
dry compound can do with a little effort! : )

Bill

Did I mention that I hate to sand?g