Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10551 Ignoramus10551 is offline

Default IGGY - Pocket Drilling

On 2010-09-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
After the long thread on drilling and peck drilling I thought I'ld post this
video for you as an alternative way to drill holes that seems to be faster
than peck drilling for many of my applications. Yes, I'm doing this dry.
The darn day job keeps interfering with my hobbies and I still have not
finished my enclosure. It ramps in at about 5IPM and finishes the pass at
20IPM. The cutter is turning about 15000 RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM4LXXNzLYw

Yes, they are slightly out of round due to backlash and run out, but not
enough to matter for most applications. If I needed them perfectly round I
think I'ld pocket them .005 to .010 undersize and then drill or ream as
needed.

Yeah, I'm sure there are a million reasons why this is a bad idea, but for a
ton of applications it works great.

I think that it is a great idea, esp. for mills without automatic tool
changers and where production time does not matter. Also useful when
you do not have the right size drills.