Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill writes:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

On the other hand, having completed my second layer with All-Purpose
joint compound, I notice I've got almost 20 feet of tape (not near the
ceiling) which is largely joint-starved. In some cases, I think that
may partly be the result of taping across too wide a gap.

What do you mean by joint-starved Bill? Do you mean that you've sanded down
to the tape and it's starting to show?

Sorry, I took too much liberty with the following definition:

starved joint ( €²stärvd €²jöint ) ( engineering ) A glued joint
containing insufficient or inadequate adhesive.

I.e., there are places where the tape is not adhered. You can push in
just a little, 1/16" or less, with your finger. At first I (naively)
thought I might fix that with additional layers of joint compound.
Didn't work. Those "bad" places keep looking raised (and they seem
likely to be a headache down the road...).

Cut a slit in the "bad" places (air bubbles) with an utility knife,
then (re)apply your topcoat.

scott