Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reshaping aluminium cans

Jim Wilkins wrote in message
On Sep 4, 3:29 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
For old electronic equipment it is a common thing to do is restuff the

outer
can of failed dual electrolytic capoacitors , ...

New caps come packaged in perfectly good cans, why do you have to
stuff them into the old one?

jsw

For appearance. A lot of the older stuff (I mean 40's and 50's vintage
record players and radios, not stuff since the 60's) had phenolic or
Bakelite outer cans on electrolytics. A new aluminum or vinyl shrink-
wrapped can just wouldn't have the same look and feel.

I fully re-built a 1958 Wurlitzer juke box. Aside from the mechanicals,
trying to completely re-do the electronics to OEM spec was quite a
challenge.

(Hint -- the changer carousel from an old Wurly fits nicely in a large-
load dishwasher G)

LLoyd

LLoyd