Lawrence Wasserman

Default Hand planes?

In article ,
Guy LaRochelle wrote:
I am totally clueless when it comes to hand planes but I would like to learn
about them and to use them. There seems to be a thousand different styles.
Is there an assortment of planes that are the most needed and most widely
used to get started? If so could someone steer me in the right direction?
Regards. -Guy

"The Hand Plane Book" by Garret Hack is the best reference I have seen.
Almost all of the planes I have are used Stanleys or close copies.
If you choose that source, for getting started/general use I recommend
a Bailey #4, a #5, and a low-angle block like a 60 1/2. Get a 9 1/2
too. All of these can be found for reasonable prices from flea markets,
ebay, yard sales, etc. or a soemwhat higher prices and in enerally
better shape from several dealers on the web. Patrick Leach comes to
mind.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland