Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Reshaping aluminium cans

On Sep 4, 1:29*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
For old electronic equipment it is a common thing to do is restuff the outer
can of failed *dual electrolytic capoacitors , like these in formhttp://jensencapacitors.com/public/billeder/produkter/kat6elytdual.jpg
(3 terminals because 2 are commoned usually)
about .5mm thick 45mm long 35mm diameter or so.
The original has 2 capacitors built concentric to one another, inside.
Fortunately modern ones , singley, for the same rating *are smaller in
volume, but as separate , to get enough space you have to oval out the can a
bit to fit 2 in side by side.
How to oval out the closed end without deforming to flats/overhangs. I do
not know if the original is spun or annealed&pressed. I seem to remember
that to anneal aluminium its a matter of coating with soap and heating till
it goes brown, but what to do next to loose metal and before or after
sqashing to oval. I fix a tight steel band (a standard capacitor clip) about
5mm from the closed end before squashing in a vice to minimise the flats,
but I would like to find a better way. It would be nice to dome the flat top
or create a saddle of 2 small domes to the top would loose metal and look ok
but how to do with minimal equipment.

It's been a long time since I've replaced any of those.

The cans are drawn or extruded, so probably not work-hardened at all
due to the grade of alloy needed, they crush easily. You can probably
ding them out with rounded dowels(broomstick end?), if you want oval,
get to whittling. Want two domes, whittle a rounded end onto a small
dowel and ding the top twice. You'd probably get better results using
something for backing up, standard panel beaters accessory was the
shot bag. Or whittle a cavity and smooth it up in a piece of
hardwood.

Stan