Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default OT Computer External Drive

In message , Nitro®
writes

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a
video and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but
the note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open
it or even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers
onto the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

I't migth be the issue, but I've never had to do that with an external
drive and I regularly swop mine between computers
--
Chris French