Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Computer External Drive

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video and
some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even
acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NitroŽ" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video
and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or
even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

Looks feasible. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 9:04*am, "John" wrote:
"NitroŽ" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video
and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or
even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

Looks feasible. Thanks

And you do that by looking it right in the eye and not letting it near
the fridge

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , NitroŽ
writes

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a
video and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but
the note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open
it or even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers
onto the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

I't migth be the issue, but I've never had to do that with an external
drive and I regularly swop mine between computers
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"John" wrote in message
"NitroŽ" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video
and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the
note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or
even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto
the notebook?

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google
on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take
ownership of the drive contents.

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

Looks feasible. Thanks

Also consider whether USB cable might be damaged or trying another USB port
on the notepad.

I've got a similar external USB drive - on one machine, the position of the
port means that the cable is mostly straight going in and it is recognised
straight away; on the other machine, because I rest the drive on top of the
case, the cable about 5cm from the end has to be straightened by hand before
the PC will recognise it.

OT Computer External Drive Ericp UK diy 2 September 8th 10 09:54 AM
OT Computer External Drive OG UK diy 0 September 6th 10 08:49 PM
OT Computer External Drive Jeff Gaines UK diy 0 September 6th 10 08:21 PM
Anyone have an External Hard drive available? [email protected] Metalworking 0 April 7th 10 04:22 PM
Anyone have an External Hard drive available? [email protected] Metalworking 3 April 7th 10 03:08 AM