Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:33:58 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 9/6/2010 5:22 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 12:58:20 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 9/6/2010 12:09 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 08:46:07 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 9/5/2010 3:22 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
How many homeowners know what circuits each receptacle is part of?

Speaking of that, why in the hell don't the codes call for some sort of
standard labeling scheme so that a person could read a number off the front of
the switch or outlet and trace it straight back to the very breaker in the
panel to which it's connected?

How would that prevent a fire or electrocution?

If you could tear yourself away from the endless and pointless thread leading
up to my minor diversion (which is what I tried to do by snipping away all the
other context),

I did. I asked you a question pertaining *only* to what you wrote.

Your response to my original post has nothing whatsoever to do with what I
wrote. NOTHING. Forget the rest of this thread. Read what Scott wrote above,
then read what I wrote. Your response speaks to a completely different
conversation.

Wrong again, dumb****. You insisted that "codes call for some sort of
standard labeling scheme...". I answered by asking why would do such a stupid
thing, considering that your convenience has nothing to do their goals (saving
life). The NFPA's only concern is protecting life and property by learning
from other's deaths. Labels on outlets aren't going to save one life or one
building. IOW, they're not interested in how lazy you are, unless you're a
danger to others (hmm).

try picturing the situation where the homeowner is able to TELL
(quickly and easily) exactly which breaker cuts the power to the outlet he
wants to fiddle with (without manually tripping every other friggin breaker in
the box and hitting the outlet with a meter just to find out what SHOULD have
been documented at installation) so that when he sticks the screwdriver in
there he doesn't get zapped?

Only an idiot would do that. Are you worried about doing it?

Oh really, so a screwdriver isn't the correct tool for removing and connecting
wires to a switch or outlet? Wires that connect with SCREWS?

Not with power on, idiot. Turn the damned power off. If you can't tell which
outlet is controlled by which breaker, spend *your* time to map your house. I
certainly don't want to have to pay a licensed electrician to flip switches
and watch lights. Apparently you are dumb enough to work on energized
circuits, though.

I can't tell you many times I've deferred the
reworking of an outlet because I didn't want to accidentally power down the
internet gateway or reset all the damn clocks in the house...

...and why would the NFPA be concerned with your inconvenience? If you're
that inconvenienced why don't you label your circuits?

Why don't you go **** yourself? The rest of the participants in my little leg
of the thread have had no trouble reading and understanding what I wrote, and
most even seem to agree with me. You've had a hard-on for me ever since we
butted heads back in the T/S Inertia thread. Why don't you get over it already?

Perhaps they're as stupid as you are? Perhaps they haven't thought through
this either. Perhaps they have a plan to label their own circuits (some have
some good ideas - learn from them). Demanding that others do this for you is
stupid as it comes.