Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore[_4_] Eeyore[_4_] is offline

Default ANSI reference designators - ANSI reference designators.pdf

John Larkin wrote:
On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 01:53:22 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 07:56:51 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

John Fields wrote: ANSI reference designators.pdf

Only for antiquated Americans of course.

Do please especially explain the relevance of the letter Q to indicate a
transistor or U for an IC.
We invented them, we named them. You can have credit for "V".

Actually the first transistor ( a FET ) was theorised by a German in the
30s IIRC. I believe he even tried to make one but materials weren't pure
enough back then.

Similarly a Briton forsaw ICs in the 50s calling them 'solid circuits'
at the time.

Graham

But none of those ideas went anywhere.

That (a) wasn't the issue. And (b) they most certainly went somewhere in
due course. We were just way ahead of what the technology and materials
technology of the time could offer.

Graham