Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Morgans" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote

An iron pulls 10A at 115. That doesn't leave much for the blow dryer or
space heater that might be used on the same bedroom circuit. I've seen
AV receivers that pull 12A under load, add an ampere or two for the TV,
and
one more for the STB, and you've exceeded the safe rating of the
receptacle. Add
an electric blanket or waterbed heater and you've blown the circuit. Then
add a window AC unit, or plug in the rug steamer...

Good Lord, man! Put all that crap on at the same time, and TWO 20 amp
circuits couldn't pull it without blowing.

You run rug steamers, while the electric blanket is running? Really? More
comments not added about ridiculous possibilities of using multiple stuff
all at one time.

The electric waterbed heater is thermostatically controlled. It starts and
stops when it needs to. SWMBO uses the electric blanket when she naps.

You obviously live alone, without kids. Things get plugged in all time
time and kids seldom do load calculations prior to plugging it.

I couldn't afford to run all of the crap you have listed.

worlds smallest violin.

We use blow dryers in the bathroom. Different circuit than the bedroom.
Most use an iron in the utility room, also.

And of course, you are typical of everyone else, right? Everyone has a
utility room? Everyone has enough bathrooms that everyone can get
ready at the same time? You never have guests?

The point of all this is that an electrician, or homebuilder, cannot make
the assumption that all people live like you do, since they don't. Therefore,
they're going to put in 20A circuits (either due to code, or common sense).

I have to ask. If you have never tried to live in a house with 15 amp
circuits (since they are not allowed to be used under your codes) how do you
know that 15 amps is not enough? You couldn't. You have never tried that.

I've several loads that alone, will exceed 15A.

Oh, and down South, we have Central Air. No window AC units are needed,

Window A/C can be significantly more efficient than central, when only cooling
part of the home.

And of course not all houses, by a longshot, in the "down south" have central A/C.

scott