Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Mike Marlow" writes:
Scott Lurndal wrote:

An iron pulls 10A at 115. That doesn't leave much for the blow dryer
or
space heater that might be used on the same bedroom circuit. I've
seen
AV receivers that pull 12A under load, add an ampere or two for the
TV, and
one more for the STB, and you've exceeded the safe rating of the
receptacle.

Only if you're plugging everything into the same receptacle.

That's why I said the 'safe rating of the receptacle'.

Consider a plug strip used with a home theater setup.

Add an electric blanket or waterbed heater and you've
blown the circuit. Then
add a window AC unit, or plug in the rug steamer...

Though to be fair - are you really going to be running all of those at the
same time?

How many homeowners know what circuits each receptacle is part of? I assume
the worst case, most uninformed homeowner, who does plug the iron into the
same branch circuit his/her A/C window unit is using.

Given that a (not perhaps typical) home theater setup can easily
draw 12A+, I think 20A circuit should be used for all living space receptacles.

scott
(Who has one computer system that draws 7.2kw).