Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Grant[_5_] Grant[_5_] is offline

Default ANSI reference designators - ANSI reference designators.pdf

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 07:11:20 +0100, Eeyore m wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Fields wrote: ANSI reference designators.pdf

Only for antiquated Americans of course.

Do please especially explain the relevance of the letter Q to indicate
a transistor or U for an IC.

Graham

Chronological snobbery. I thought it was Brits who liked to keep old
names for things, such as your treasury department, which is still named
after the gingham tablecloth that they used to count the money on,
around a thousand years ago. (*)

The name Treasury ( which one could critice itself for being
'old-fashioned' despite common US usage ) has no connection with
tablecloths. You ought to do your research before posting.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/about_history.htm

" The origin of the name €œexchequer€ derives from the chequered table
(based on the abacus) which was used from about 1110 for calculating
expenditure and receipts. "

British English btw is renowned for accepting many forms of linguistic
influence inluding taking entire foreign phrases into common use. In
this respect it is probably the most dynamic language in the world.

Now explain why U = integrated circuit and Q = transistor. It defies any
form of common sense.

Sensible usage is 'IC' and 'TR'.

So the transformer is? I and C already taken for other uses, so remaining
letters get a showing too. Too hard? Hardly matters.

Grant.