Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Enco Bore Gage?

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

Enco has "Quality Dial Bore Gage Sets"on sale for ~$35, marked down
from ~$100. Stock numbers are TF240-0112 for 0.24" - 0.4" and
TF240-0113 for 0.4" - 0.7". Does anyone know how serviceable these
are, with or without the supplied indicator?

I think someone else had gotten these and commented that they were
unexpectedly good quality for the money, so I ordered the 0.24-0.4 set
and the 0.4-0.7 set. On the web site both gage sets are pictured with
a wooden box.

The 0.4-0.7 set arrived first. Although the box was red plastic, it
had a metal latch and a real hinge on the back of the case, and the
interior had well fitted gray foam. It came with a sheet of
instructions. The gage worked and was repeatable. The dial indicator
that came with it had MHC on the face. I prefer wooden cases, but the
plastic case was of decent quality, so OK, I'm only minimally
disappointed.

The 0.24-0.4 set arrived yesterday. A little disappointing. It
arrived in a Harbor Freight quality red blow molded case with poorly
fitting interior compartments. No instructions in the box. The
anvils didn't quite have a good looking finish. The supplied wrench
was a really sloppy fit on the tiny nut at the end. The dial
indicator cosmetically looked identical to the one in the 0.4-07 set,
but did not have MHC on the face of the dial. The measurements were
repeatable. The poor case and the sloppy wrench detracted from what
is probably an OK gage.

I checked the catalog number and that matches with what I ordered, and
the web site shows the sets with wooden boxes. The wooden case
pictured on the web site is almost bait and switch compared to what I
got. Is this typical of Enco currently? I haven't bought much from
them in the past few years.

RWL