Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Supergluing your fingers together

isw wrote:
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

Phil Hobbs wrote in message
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:20:39 -0700, Dave Platt

wrote:
Surprising I've never done it before . Thumb and second finger firmly

glued
to either side of a connecctor. I tried methylated spirits first but

no
effect seemingly. Then dilute acetone as nail varnish remover. I was
concerned about being too long on the skin so some cotton wool balls

of
acetone around both areas and a Q-tip soaked in acetone, with a

rotating
wedge-like motion, cautiously wedging skin from connector worked, but

anyone
elses experiences/advice for the next time?
Keeping a bottle of superglue debonder around is a cheap investment.
If you go to a hobby store which carries a selection of cyanoacrylate
glues (usually of different viscosities and bonding speeds) you ought
to find a supply of debonder in the same rack.

Has anybody ever found an application where superglue works well
except on human skin? I find the crap brittle as hell and have yet to
see anything glued with it last more than a few weeks before breaking.
I use it on optical things often, because it's easily removed, like Duco
cement except stronger and faster-setting. As long as you use just a
little, it doesn't cause too much nasty frosting nearby.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

How do you use "just a little" with the viscosity almost of liquid helium
and coming in aluminium tubes of a gauge almost the same as tin cans it
seems impossible to squeeze out a small drop, only.

Easy; you just smear it on with your finger 8^}

Isaac

You put a drop of it on a bit of scrap plastic, and apply with a
toothpick--just like epoxy. If you use too much, the free surface
outgasses like mad and you wind up with white plastic snow all over
everything. There are 'low outgassing' PMMA formulations, but they're
only low by comparison.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs