Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Supergluing your fingers together

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I have to agree on the brittleness problem. It's so handy, that I
tend use it on items where urethane, RTV, or epoxy would be more
appropriate.

Thee are some newer formulations on the market which are intended
to be less brittle, and thus able to handle more impact that the
standard formulas. The one I bought (Gorilla brand) says that it's
reinforced with rubber particles. I infer that the rubber both
reduces stress within the adhesive during compression or tension (thus
reducing the tendency for cracks to start) and also helps prevent
cracks from propagating through the material once they do start.

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/techni...pdf/tech46.pdf
has some details.

I've made my first experimental use of the Gorilla rubber-
reinforced variety, gluing a set of hardwood scales to a pocketknife
handle. I'll be quite interested to see how the knife holds up with
time. I know I'm taking a risk, not fastening the scales to the
handle with small screws... but the scales are hand-finished olive
burl and I just couldn't bear to drill holes in it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO