Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Supergluing your fingers together

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:24:26 -0700, Dave Platt wrote:

In article , Meat
Plow wrote:

I glue large cuts together. From what I've heard/read Cyanoacrylate was
developed as a substitute for stitching wounds together on the
battlefield during the Vietnam war. Little wonder it bonds skin so
thoroughly. It's also used in its medical counterpart for some
surgeries.

Yup... although the off-the-shelf cyanoacrylate has some amount of
toxicity to skin cells, and is not ideal for this purpose. A lot of
people do use it as an emergency / field dressing, though... I
understand that rock climbers often carry a tube.

Medical skin glue is based on a slightly different cyanoacrylate (butyl
rather than methyl, IIRC) and is easier on the skin cells. It's not
widely available, though, except as a medical or vetrinary adhesive in
expensive single-use ampoules).

Hmm I'll have to remember that. Didn't seem to prove very toxic to my
cut. Skin had mended around 10 days after. I probably wouldn't use it
if I cut my finger off though