Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Supergluing your fingers together

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:22:52 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

Surprising I've never done it before . Thumb and second finger firmly
glued to either side of a connecctor. I tried methylated spirits first
but no effect seemingly. Then dilute acetone as nail varnish remover. I
was concerned about being too long on the skin so some cotton wool balls
of acetone around both areas and a Q-tip soaked in acetone, with a
rotating wedge-like motion, cautiously wedging skin from connector
worked, but anyone elses experiences/advice for the next time? Anyone
ever glued one hand to the other ?

I glue large cuts together. From what I've heard/read Cyanoacrylate was
developed as a substitute for stitching wounds together on the
battlefield during the Vietnam war. Little wonder it bonds skin so
thoroughly. It's also used in its medical counterpart for some surgeries.

Back to gluing cuts. I was sharpening a large hunting knife and managed
to cut the side of my right thumb to the bone. Cut was about 2.5cm and I
could see bone and other structures underneath. Didn't look like I cut
anything else and my thumb still worked ok so rather than getting it
stitched I used a grade of cyano we use for guitar work. Got the bleeding
stopped, wasn't much to begin with. Applied the glue and the cut was
closed immediately. I put cloth tape around the joint so the thumb
wouldn't flex as that was where the cut occurred. A week later the cut
had healed well enough to remove the tape. Now I have a scar but it is a
straight line. Be happy to upload a pic of it.

re sig
Its also used for the chance of CSI lifting murderer's fingerprints off the
skin off dead bodies. That is one of the reasons that a tent goes over a
body outdoors. So heaters can go inside and evaporate Cyanoacrylate in a
confined space.