Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ?

On Sep 1, 5:23*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Micajah" wrote om:

"Tegger" wrote in message

Then there's "hardtop", which is common in my area on lightly-loaded
roads:
You lay down the usual packed-aggregate roadbed, then spray really
runny tar on the surface. Then you spread pea-gravel on top of that,
and just let
passing traffic roll it in the rest of the way. Excess gravel gets
pushed off to the shoulder over time. It's fairly durable if you keep
heavy trucks
off of it.

This is the classic Macadam-type of paving.

I didn't know that. We just call it "hardtop". That's to differentiate it
from the softer gravel/sand mix which goes on roads that are lesser to
hardtopped roads. The big advantage of hardtop is that it's really cheap to
install compared to asphalt, but is a lot more durable (and cleaner and
washboard-resistant) than gravel/sand.

--
Tegger

"Hardtop" is a kind of car...but I have heard of "blacktop".