Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone up for making a B-17 restoration part?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:03:32 -0400, Phred
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:02:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
scribed:

Phred wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/B-17_Part.pdf

Thanks Bob... Not too familiar with how the "box" works... Plus I've
been getting the IMTS show exhibit together for the last week. Just
shipped today... Thank the God's!

I reckon this part would be for the steering column? Were not the
B-17's still controlled with wire steering? Ailerons? I dinna know
that much, but I do have a B-17 flight manual somewhere... I'll try to
look it up.

Thanks again,

Fred V. Fowler III

I certainly don't have the time and pulling out of that groove is over
my capabilities. But, even looking at it sideways, I wouldn't put in
the two circular grooves on the sides to reduce weight. The most of
the stress if it binds will be on the outsides of the cable rapped
around. What's a cubic inch of aluminum for a proven war bird that
will never carry again what it was designed for.

Like the other post, probably trim, the main yoke would be 5-6" dia.
not 2.5"

SW