Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default TIG Welding 6061 aluminum

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:36:10 GMT, (dan) wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that tnik fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:08:28 -0400:

On 8/30/2010 4:53 PM, Ignoramus24925 wrote:
I have two long aluminum bars 1/4 by 1 1/4, connected together in a
parallel configuration:

[==============]
[==============]

(they form a knife handle that holds the tang of a knife, sandwiched
between them).

I need to weld them together with TIG and my question is how. Again,
6061, they are 1/4" thick. What filler is best to use and what
amperage. Should I use lanthanated?

If the material is butted together, you should just be able to fuse them
together. A bit of polishing when done and probably wont even be able to
tell they were welded.. If you need filler, then I would suggest the
same type of material.

You can't get 6061 filler rods. Use 4043 or 5356.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php

that says to use 190-220 amps

Shouldn't need that much, just to hold 'em together.

6061 CANNOT be welded without adding filler rod. I have the magizine
article at home. That's why there is no such thing as 6061 filler
rod.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.