Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default A flashlight story -- metal content, apolitical

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:11:55 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:55:02 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:29:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I've had similar experiences. A couple things I do differently.
Headlamp from harbor Freight, with a Nite Ize module in it, three LED. I
wonder why your light has 1 lumen, and 100 lumens. Isn't that a bit too
wide a difference?

Actually, it isn't. Our eyes respond logarithmically to light intensity
so a range of 100:1 in luminous intensity isn't nearly that wide a range
in perceived brightness.

1 lumen (from this light) is quite sufficient to read a book
comfortably at normal reading distance, as e.g. when camping. I
just tried it outside at minimum setting. Battery life would
probably be 100 hours at that setting.

SM may have assumed it has 2 settings, at 1 and 100 lumens,
ie overlooked that the web page says variable from 0 to 100.
http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

It is indeed continuously variable from min to max. I haven't
verified the actual lumen output in my lab but I've no reason to doubt
their specs.