Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A flashlight story -- metal content, apolitical

I have been fascinated with flashlights since I was 2. My kids know
this, of course. For Father's Day this year they went together to
present me with a really excellent head-mounted task light. There
are lots of head-mounted lights but to date they've all been designed
by marketing because they behave like flashlights: they have small,
bright "spots" that are impressive in the store but about useless on a
task at arms' length or less. I designed and built two better ones 5
years ago, gave one to my friend in PA that still raves about it. The
technology has advanced noticably since then, and this model from
Surefire is absurdly pricey but it really is an excellent design that
works extremely well.
http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

So I wrote this to my kids to tell them about how well it worked on a
real job today.
----

I spent part of this afternoon on a plumbing job.

The leak I mostly fixed maybe 6 months ago got precipitously worse
over the past couple of days. I have had very minor drips just seal
up over time so I decided to see what this one would do. Didn't work
out that way. Gotta fix it right. Grabbed the Surefire wide-angle
100-lumen 3-watt LED electronically-regulated light-weight
easily-aimed superbly superior kick-ass head light (and a few tools)
and headed for the basement.

Illumination and visibility of the situation under the laundry sink
was excellent. It wasn't pretty. Lesser men might have quivered in
dispair at the sight of that starkly-limned site. But I'm PoppyDon
and I was there to plumb.

I disconnected the pipe, let it drain for a few minutes (it's about
the lowest pipe in the house, comes right off the water meter), popped
my semiautomatic MAPP torch and re-soldered the offending joint.
Reassembled the union to the water meter, turned the water back on.
Leak was same as befo same place, same size. In finest Minnesota
form, I thought "oh, golly." Man, I hate soldering problems like
that!

Turn off water, disassemble, leave to drain while I go to Depot for
a new valve.

Next step is to replace the valve, which was new six months ago but
Chinese. Brass and copper things will only tolerate so many
solderings before they get to some sorta amalgam of solder, copper,
zinc and unsolderablium that can cause outbursts of foul language,
psychological instability and perhaps musings about whether gunpowder
might work better than a Bernz-O-Matic torch -- or at least be more
satisfying. Depot is close and valves are cheap.

Got a ball valve this time, a little pricier than a gate valve but
still under 10 bux and an obviously superior valve. The guy at Depot
said I wouldn't be sorry, that valve would still be in excellent
condition 10 years from now. I said there's no way I'll be under the
@#$%#$ laundry sink soldering pipes 10 years from now. He said "you
don't think you'll be around 10 years from now?" "Oh hell yes, but
not under the freakin' sink. My wife asked me today if I didn't think
I'd reached the age where perhaps I should just pay someone to do that
job. My reply was NO!" She said "oh". He cracked up.

Upon close inspection of the end of the pipe with very good light I
noted a blemish. The onslaught of lumens from the head lamp wasn't
quite scouring it clean. I abraded it with Scotchbright. Blemish
still wouldn't go away. Inspected with hand flashlight. Hello, I see
light coming thru the blemish! Aha, THAT kind of blemish does not
tin well at all, not at all. I guess my little bitty leak that didn't
self-heal done eroded a wee hole plumb thru the copper in only a few
months.

Back to Depot to get a coupler. Cut 3" off the pipe, spliced in 3"
of new pipe. Yeah, I get a little extravagant under laundry sinks.
Resoldered the lot, reassembled the union to the water meter. Big
honkin' wrench, awkward place, wet, spiders but no water mocassins.
A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. Turn on water.

This time it's drier than the history of teaching history. Hooahhh!
Polished hero badge. Claimed the many trips up and down the basement
stairs shagging tools and supplies were my aerobic exercise for today
and got no argument.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 2:52*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Thank you Don, another nice piece of writing. Your the voice of
"Everyday Sanity" on this group, a good anodyne to the nutters (yes,
me too sometimes) - your a good reference point, glad your here.
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
[...]

I totally agree Andrew, I get quite a bit of pleasure reading Dons posts.
Good on you Don.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:52:33 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

I know how this is going to turn out right now. Excellent notion to
make one into a headlamp, Don. That's really the only type of
flashlight to own. Oh, OK, that and a 2AA LED MiniMag, for those rare
bounced-light requirements.

Your friend's job turned out to be a normal PITA plumbing job, I see.
Condolences.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do,
we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I have been fascinated with flashlights since I was 2. My kids know
this, of course. For Father's Day this year they went together to
present me with a really excellent head-mounted task light. There
are lots of head-mounted lights but to date they've all been designed
by marketing because they behave like flashlights: they have small,
bright "spots" that are impressive in the store but about useless on a
task at arms' length or less. I designed and built two better ones 5
years ago, gave one to my friend in PA that still raves about it. The
technology has advanced noticably since then, and this model from
Surefire is absurdly pricey but it really is an excellent design that
works extremely well.
http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

So I wrote this to my kids to tell them about how well it worked on a
real job today.

I don't have one as nice as yours but I do have a number of the white led types stuck in
my tool box, trunk of car, hunting gear bag, ect.

I don't know if you wear glasses but if you do you know that bright light = greater depth
of vision for those of us that wear multifocal lens.

The biggest issue I run into wearing progressive lens glasses (the only thing progressive
about me ) is changing the tilt of my head to see closer or farther away has me
re-aiming my headlight. In tight quarters inside an assembly cell working on a repair or
adjustment it is irritating as heck. It does beat using a flash light all hollow though.

Loved the plumbing story and I fully agree the ups, downs, stair climbs, trips to home
despot and back constitutes your cardio workout for the day.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had similar experiences. A couple things I do differently.
Headlamp from harbor Freight, with a Nite Ize module in it, three LED.
I wonder why your light has 1 lumen, and 100 lumens. Isn't that a bit
too wide a difference?

Second, I use a full auto Mapp torch. It keeps firing, as long as I
hold the trigger back, until the magazine is empty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Don Foreman fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:52:33 -0500:

this model from
Surefire is absurdly pricey but it really is an excellent design that
works extremely well.

I got one too. I like that the battery pack can use three CR123 cells
or two AA cells. And you can ditch the pack and screw one CR123 cell
into the light for super light weight.

And the variable light output/battery life is great too.

Probably never use the SOS feature though.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:29:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had similar experiences. A couple things I do differently.
Headlamp from harbor Freight, with a Nite Ize module in it, three LED.
I wonder why your light has 1 lumen, and 100 lumens. Isn't that a bit
too wide a difference?

Actually, it isn't. Our eyes respond logarithmically to light
intensity so a range of 100:1 in luminous intensity isn't nearly that
wide a range in perceived brightness.

1 lumen (from this light) is quite sufficient to read a book
comfortably at normal reading distance, as e.g. when camping. I just
tried it outside at minimum setting. Battery life would probably be
100 hours at that setting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:55:02 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:29:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I've had similar experiences. A couple things I do differently.
Headlamp from harbor Freight, with a Nite Ize module in it, three LED. I
wonder why your light has 1 lumen, and 100 lumens. Isn't that a bit too
wide a difference?

Actually, it isn't. Our eyes respond logarithmically to light intensity
so a range of 100:1 in luminous intensity isn't nearly that wide a range
in perceived brightness.

1 lumen (from this light) is quite sufficient to read a book
comfortably at normal reading distance, as e.g. when camping. I
just tried it outside at minimum setting. Battery life would
probably be 100 hours at that setting.

SM may have assumed it has 2 settings, at 1 and 100 lumens,
ie overlooked that the web page says variable from 0 to 100.
http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:11:55 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

[...]

It is indeed continuously variable from min to max. I haven't
verified the actual lumen output in my lab but I've no reason to doubt
their specs.