Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG Welding 6061 aluminum

On Aug 30, 4:53*pm, Ignoramus24925 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
24925.invalid wrote:
I have two long aluminum bars 1/4 by 1 1/4, connected together in a
parallel configuration:

[==============]
[==============]

(they form a knife handle that holds the tang of a knife, sandwiched
between them).

I need to weld them together with TIG and my question is how. Again,
6061, they are 1/4" thick. What filler is best to use and what
amperage. Should I use lanthanated?

Ask over in Sci.engr.joining,welding. Pay attention to what Ernie
says. Do not join without adding filler.

From a post on s.e.j.w by Ernie on butt welding.

You have to make sure your edges are clean and oxide free for them to
flow.
Also, the specific alloy makes a big difference.
6061 and 6063 should never be flow welded together.
You need a filler rod, 4043 or 5356.

5052 can be flow welded together, as can 3003, and 1100.
5086 should have a filler rod, either 5356 or 5556.

As long as the edges are touching you should get a good flow on a seam
with no keyholing.

From another of Ernies posts.

1 amp per 0.001" of thickness.
So 1/16" wall tubing is about 0.063" = 63 amps.
Got it?
Set your amperage dial to a hair over this, say 65 amps.
Keep your arc short and your tungsten clean.
Be agressive with the filler rod.
If the aluminum appears to be melting away into a hole, get some
filler in there.

A good test to see if your amperage is set correctly on the machine is
disable the foot pedal's ability to control the amperage.
Just use it as a contactor control.

This will allow you to really see how much amperage to need to weld
your pieces.

For thinwall aluminum go for a 1/16" Lanthanated, Ceriated or
Zirconiated
Tungsten.

Stay away from Pures or Thoriated.
Thoriated tungstens tend to shed bits of tungsten into the weld on AC,
and Pures
can't take any heat.

Dan