Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG Welding 6061 aluminum

Ignoramus24925 wrote:
I have two long aluminum bars 1/4 by 1 1/4, connected together in a
parallel configuration:

I need to weld them together with TIG and my question is how. Again,
6061, they are 1/4" thick. What filler is best to use and what
amperage. Should I use lanthanated?

You need a very close fit between the parts, clean carefully and clamp
to hold in place. 1/4" thickness is out of the narrow range of my
knowledge. I got some filler wire from the welding store that worked
well, I'll look up what it is. I also got some MIG wire, and was not
able to make that work right at all. lanthanated electrodes should be
good. You'll need a pretty thick electrode and a lot of current. You
will need to play the arc over the parts for a minute or so to preheat
before welding, and once preheated, begin welding and keep the arc
moving quickly to prevent the dreaded "blop" on the floor.

You will have much better results with a gas lens, it can cut your Argon
consumption by half, and that stuff is getting EXPENSIVE!

Jon