Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT can an adult learn skateboarding

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:35:25 -0500, Karl Townsend

Think again. I went in when I was 17. The birth cert said I was 20.

damn. I never heard of anybody that WANTED to go in 1970.

71.

When you are young, poor, and live in a rural county and have little
choices about employment..one does what one does to try to change that.
I figured the GI Bill would cover my education and when I got out..I did
sign for wireman school, (telephone guy)....but things changed..and I
was all pride, nads and sure of myself....so didnt think things through
very well. Something Ive been guilty of more than once.

It was not one of my best decisions, but not one of the worst either.
On the other hand....it did change my life far far longer and farther
than I ever imagined it would. And certainly took it in some very
strange directions.

Guy I knew landed in country 9 Feb. '68. Had his own body bag 16 Feb.
'68. Remember what was happening then? No more voluntary enlistments
in my part of the world after that.

Karl - drew #312 in the lottery - Townsend

There but for the grace of God.....

older brother of a buddy of mine, about 68 or 69, got off the plane, got
on a bus, was blown up within 1/4 mile of the air base, was tucked right
back on that same plane and flown to Japan Total time in country..about
2 hours. He ultimately lost a leg. Shrug....some people have good luck,
some bad. Im still very much undecided as to what kind of luck Mike had.
He retired a couple years ago, after nearly 30 years selling insurance.
Did quite well for himself.

Shrug.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)