Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default OT can an adult learn skateboarding

On 2010-08-30, rangerssuck wrote:
Don't know about skateboarding, but I am a pretty proficient ice
skater. I tried roller blading a few years back, and it scared the
crap out of me. Fall on ice and you slide. Fall on pavement and you
leave skin behind.

I would suggest, if you're going to go ahead with this, a helmet,
wrist elbow and knee pads (all available as a set from any skate
shop). And, by all means, be prepared to look silly. It's no where
near as easy as it looks - I know this from a few of the neighborhood
kids who are all excellent ice and roller skaters and have tried their
hand (or foot) at skate boarding. One of them has an interesting
device - a two-wheeled contraption called a wave board. It goes
amazingly fast and is very maneuverable, and it loooks easy enough to
build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70NitDFM4A

Good luck.

I am not looking to performing any feats worthy of YouTube, etc. I
would say, nothing where all wheels are in the air simultaneously.
Just riding around and such. I would not try to look cool in front of
skateboard savvy kids, and I have generally been careful.

A skate board is a whole new way of balancing and it just needs to be
learned. (or maybe I cannot learn it, boo hoo)

There is no reason to ride a standard length skateboard if you don't want to
do ollies, etc.. For riding around, a nice bamboo longboard will get you
around in style.