Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default OT can an adult learn skateboarding

I have to admit to having almost never ridden a skateboard, certainly
I am a complete novice. My older kid started to learn it and I am
wondering, can an adult pick that skill up or is it too late.

A related question is what skateboard would be good for an adult sized
beginner. I just want it to be easy to use.

I have learned a few things from my many heart procedures and 8.5 hour heart
surgery. One of them is that some things are just not worth doing any more
because the risks outweigh the benefits. Anyone can learn to skateboard,
but that might just involve going down the sidewalk for a short distance.
To learn all the tricks and get really good at it, you need to practice, and
that means falling a lot. If you talk to any skateboarder about their
injuries, they will undoubtedly list several, but they are in a situation
where they are living with mommy and daddy, and aren't even paying their own
health insurance. So what if they have to take a couple of weeks off or a
couple of months off to recover. They don't have a job anyway.

I have hung up some of my equipment, the most recent, and the hardest to do
was my new K2 skis and Dalbello boots that had been skiied once.

So, yes, you can learn to skateboard, but with someone as active as you, I
think the downtime would drive you crazy, and if you could not lift or work
with an arm for three weeks or three months, you'd quickly arrive at the
most obvious answer.

It's not worth it. And besides. Yeah, the kids will think it's cool for
someone's Pops to be out there skateboarding, but you might as well to in
and put on the orange duck suit, because you are going to be odd man out.
They will tolerate you a little, but you'll never be "cool". Or is that
"kewl?" There has been attempts for older skateboard groups, but they could
never have enough members who were out of their casts at the same time to
have a meet.

Steve