Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , " wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:19:17 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article ,

" wrote:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:36:21 GMT,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , Swingman
wrote:
On 8/28/2010 12:40 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:18:21 GMT,
(Doug Miller)

wrote:

In ,
wrote:

"Mike wrote

Good point - thanks for the correction on that Bill. So - it's just a
lesson to stick in your arsenal of information - every electrical
connection needs some sort of clamp for strain relief. From now on

it's
almost a sure bet you will notice such things in existing wiring and
it's
not likely you'll make this same mistake again.

Also, he should realize that a staple holding the romex to the stud is
required within 6 inches of the box - for strain relief.

No, it's not.

12"?

Code here is within 8" ...

The 8" rule in the NEC states that when using a non-metallic box, NM cable

is
not required to be secured to the *box* if it's secured to framing within 8"

of the box. Nowhere that I'm aware of does the NEC require NM cable to be
secured to framing within any particular distance of a box as a general

rule;
in fact, the Code explicitly permits NM to be fished inside walls in

existing
construction without being supported by or secured to the framing _at all_;

of

course, if you do that, you're required to secure it to the box.

I thought NM had to be secured to the framing on new wiring. Certainly

that's
not possible with old wiring.

It does. But there's not a general requirement -- not one that I'm aware of,
anyway -- to secure it within any particular distance of the box, provided
that it's secured to the box.

Certainly the 4-1/2' rule applies. Your last four lines implied that it need
not be secured at all. That's why I answered as I did.

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave that implication. Just to clarify: if NM is
installed concealed by fishing it through existing construction, it is not
required to be supported or secured in the concealed, fished portion of the
installation. NM installed exposed whether in old or new construction, or
inside walls during new construction when the walls are open, is required to
be supported and secured.