Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

In article , Swingman wrote:
On 8/29/2010 2:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

The 8" rule in the NEC states that when using a non-metallic box, NM cable is
not required to be secured to the *box* if it's secured to framing within 8"
of the box. Nowhere that I'm aware of does the NEC require NM cable to be
secured to framing within any particular distance of a box as a general rule;

Our 2008 NEC local interpretation specifically dictates/states within 8"
of any "unclamped" box.

And that is the final word; per the NEC, the Code means what the AHJ
(authority having jurisdiction) says it means.

For all practical purposes hereabouts that is basically a "general rule"
since anything other than an "unclamped" box in new construction is
rare, service/sub panels excepted.

in fact, the Code explicitly permits NM to be fished inside walls in
existing construction without being supported by or secured to the
framing _at all_; of course, if you do that, you're required to
secure it to the box.

Here also ... except that local requirement is that NM must be secured
every 4 1/2' before it penetrates the sill plate and enters an existing
wall.

That's not merely a local requirement. That is explicit in the NEC.