Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default A flashlight story -- metal content, apolitical

Don Foreman wrote:

I have been fascinated with flashlights since I was 2. My kids know
this, of course. For Father's Day this year they went together to
present me with a really excellent head-mounted task light. There
are lots of head-mounted lights but to date they've all been designed
by marketing because they behave like flashlights: they have small,
bright "spots" that are impressive in the store but about useless on a
task at arms' length or less. I designed and built two better ones 5
years ago, gave one to my friend in PA that still raves about it. The
technology has advanced noticably since then, and this model from
Surefire is absurdly pricey but it really is an excellent design that
works extremely well.
http://www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

So I wrote this to my kids to tell them about how well it worked on a
real job today.

I don't have one as nice as yours but I do have a number of the white led types stuck in
my tool box, trunk of car, hunting gear bag, ect.

I don't know if you wear glasses but if you do you know that bright light = greater depth
of vision for those of us that wear multifocal lens.

The biggest issue I run into wearing progressive lens glasses (the only thing progressive
about me ) is changing the tilt of my head to see closer or farther away has me
re-aiming my headlight. In tight quarters inside an assembly cell working on a repair or
adjustment it is irritating as heck. It does beat using a flash light all hollow though.

Loved the plumbing story and I fully agree the ups, downs, stair climbs, trips to home
despot and back constitutes your cardio workout for the day.

Wes