Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut[_3_] Pete Zahut[_3_] is offline

Default car bulbs in France

Mike Lane wrote:
JTM wrote on Aug 28, 2010:

In France it's a requirement to carry a set of replacement
bulbs in your vehicle. I'd guess that the idea is that as
soon as it's noticed that one of your bulbs has gone, you
can replace itŒ
Πin the supermarket car park or on the roadside. Seems
like a good idea.

Until I came to replace a brake light on my Megane Scenic
the other day. Rear light cluster is held in by a couple of
T20 Torx screws. Now as it happens I had such a tool, but
only by accident! I'm sure not many people would have one,
so should the manufacturer be supplying such tools as a
safety feature?

John

About once a year I drive across Europe, going through Belgium,
France, Germany, Austria, Italy, and Greece. The equipment you are
required to carry in these various countries includes: GB sticker,
spare bulbs, spare spectacles (if needed), first aid equipment,
warning triangle, reflective jacket, fire extinguisher, headlight
beam converter - I think that's about it.

In practice I have never, ever, had anyone abroad show the slightest
interest in anything I have got in or on the car. I do try to take
most of the above, but I don't carry spare headlight bulbs - they're
expensive and I've never had one fail in the last 20 years or so.
Also I've stopped putting those nasty little stickers on my headlamps
- I'm not convinced they do anything and nobody's complained (so far).

They may not have complained about your lack of headlamp adjusters because
you dazzled them off the road and they're lying in a ditch somewhere.