Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default car bulbs in France

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
JTM wrote on Aug 28, 2010:

In France it's a requirement to carry a set of replacement
bulbs in your vehicle. I'd guess that the idea is that as
soon as it's noticed that one of your bulbs has gone, you
can replace itO
O in the supermarket car park or on the roadside. Seems
like a good idea.

Until I came to replace a brake light on my Megane Scenic
the other day. Rear light cluster is held in by a couple of
T20 Torx screws. Now as it happens I had such a tool, but
only by accident! I'm sure not many people would have one,
so should the manufacturer be supplying such tools as a
safety feature?

John

About once a year I drive across Europe, going through Belgium, France,
Germany, Austria, Italy, and Greece. The equipment you are required to
carry
in these various countries includes: GB sticker, spare bulbs, spare
spectacles (if needed), first aid equipment, warning triangle, reflective
jacket, fire extinguisher, headlight beam converter - I think that's
about
it.

In practice I have never, ever, had anyone abroad show the slightest
interest
in anything I have got in or on the car. I do try to take most of the
above,
but I don't carry spare headlight bulbs - they're expensive and I've
never
had one fail in the last 20 years or so. Also I've stopped putting those
nasty little stickers on my headlamps - I'm not convinced they do
anything
and nobody's complained (so far).

Properly designed, and fitted, headlamp stickers do work effectively so it
is selfish and inconsiderate not to use them,quite apart from any strict
legal requirement. Exactly how do you expect the drivers you dazzled to
complain to you? As for bulbs the problem is if you do get stopped by the
French police and don't have a replacement bulb the hassle involved is
really not worth the cost of having a full set of spares.

Peter Crosland

A spare bulb isn't going to break the bank - It makes sense to carry a spare
as sods law will ensure that one fails on a dark miserable night when you
are on a long journey. Just not worth the risk of not carrying one.